Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply online at the San Bernardino County Human Resources website at www.sbcounty.gov/hr/
- Written examination
- Physical agility test (PAT) turn in background packet information
- Interview with background investigator
- Polygraph examination
- Background investigation starts (The investigation will include checks of current and former employment, police, financial, education and military records. We also interview family members,neighbors, supervisors, co-workers, and friends.)
- Chief oral interview
- Psychological and medical examination
- Swearing in
The written examination is waived for Pre-Service and Lateral applicants. The rest of the process is the same as a DST.
No. We do not accept outside test scores. Candidates must complete all of our assessments.
Your application is good for one year after the written exam.
The PAT consists of the following events:
- 99 yard obstacle course
- Chain link fence
- 6 foot solid block wall
- 165 lbs body drag
- 500 yard sprint
Your background packet is due when you report for the physical agility test.
You should begin the process when you have approximately six (6) months or less on your enlistment time of service. You will need to be available to take the written examination, PAT, and be able to successfully pass each stage in the process.
The pay scale for all of the positions within the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s department can be found by visiting www.sbcounty.gov/hr/
The academy is 23 weeks.